“Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.”
– Mother Theresa –
What is World Oral Health Day?
The World Oral Health Day is an initiative of FDI World Dental Federation; an organization that brings together the world of dentistry with the aim of achieving optimal oral health for everyone. Mainly it aims to empower people with the knowledge, tools and confidence to secure good oral health.
The World Oral Health Day was first declared in 2007 and was originally celebrated on 12th September which is the birth date of FDI founder Dr. Charles Goden. However, the campaign was not fully activated until 2013, after the date was changed to 20th March to avoid conflict with the FDI World Dental Congress taking place in September.
The new date was chosen to reflect that;
- Seniors must have a total of 20 natural teeth at the end of their life to be considered healthy
- Children should possess 20 baby teeth
- Healthy adults must have a total of 32 teeth and 0 dental cavities
- Expressed on a numerical basis this can be translated as 3/20 hence March 20
Why World Oral Health Day is important?
- Not caring about your oral hygiene can make your overall existence difficult. It will not only cause pain and disease but also prevent you from being socially confident.
- Oral hygiene is a much neglected topic for many people. Just because problems are not surfacing, they stay ignorant towards the importance of maintaining oral hygiene and then suffer from diseases.
- A newborn child is toothless, and only they look cute when they smile without teeth, not adults. Not caring for teeth will not only make you look odd when tooth decay or loss set in but also make eating, talking, and smiling difficult.
How to observe world oral health day?
- Brush your teeth
- Start with yourself, brush your teeth, floss, use a mouthwash and there a perfect minty fresh oxygenated mouth for the rest of the day
- Talk about oral hygiene
- Talk about the importance of oral hygiene and contribute to spreading awareness. Make it a trend on social media to invite others to the cause.
- Visit a dentist for a checkup
- It would be great if you can go for a dental twice a year or at least once in a year.
Facts about Oral Health everyone should know!
- Oral diseases affect 3.5 billion people globally, of which 90% of the ailments belong to tooth decay
- Many people believe that oral health pertains to teeth only, however, this is incorrect as oral health refers to the head, face and oral cavity.
- The two most deadly contributors to bad oral health are tobacco and sugar.
- Maintaining good oral health is crucial to maintaining overall good health.
The best thing about oral care is that it does not take too much of our time. Therefore, brush your teeth, floss your teeth, clean your gums and clean your tongue, repeat twice daily, and do not forget to visit your dentist twice every year. Happy World Oral Health Day!
“Be Proud of Your Mouth” – The campaign theme for World Oral Health Day from 2021 to 2023.